We have recently developed Calm Nootropic to create a delicious product that is capable of significantly influencing stress in the body in order to unwind at the end of a big day and prepare for a high quality sleep later in the evening.
In this blog post, we cover the Top 3 Supplements for Reducing physical stress in the body which includes Magnesium Glycinate, Ashwagandha and Reishi Mushroom.
Magnesium Glycinate is a source of Magnesium to replenish the body of this vital mineral, with the addition of glycine which helps alleviate stress and improve sleep.
Ashwagandha is a potent adaptogen - a herb which significantly reduces stress and cortisol in the body by helping the body "adapt" to stress.
Reishi Mushroom is a secondary adapotogen to help the body fight stress. It's also acts as a superfood and health ingredient, helping support immunity.
Let's take a look at these 3 key ingredients for STRESS SUPPORT.
1. Ashwagandha 10:1 Extract 🌿
Ashwagandha or Withania Somnifera is a plant of the nightshade family that has been traditionally used in Eastern, Indian medicine (Ayurveda).
It’s commonly known to be an “Adaptogen” e.g. a natural compound that helps your body fight stress and physical/mental fatigue.
The main phytochemical constituents in Ashwagandha which contribute to its potent effect are called withanolides.
Current research shows Ashwagandha can have an appreciable anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects and may reduce cortisol levels, reduce fatigue, reduce insomnia and may increase testosterone.
The most common dose for Ashwagandha seems to be in the range of 300–500mg per day. Most extracts are a 10:1 extract. Several high quality patented extracts exist such as KSM-66 and Sensoril Ashwagandha.
- Reduces anxiety
- Reduces stress and cortisol levels
- Increases energy
- May increase testosterone
- May decrease inflammation
- May increase sleep
Mechanisms of Action
- Blocks the stress pathway by regulating chemical signaling in the nervous system
- May be a GABA receptor agonist and thus exert sedative effects on the CNS
- A Prospective, Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of a High-Concentration Full-Spectrum Extract of Ashwagandha Root in Reducing Stress and Anxiety in Adults (nih.gov)
- An Overview on Ashwagandha: A Rasayana (Rejuvenator) of Ayurveda (nih.gov)
- An investigation into the stress-relieving and pharmacologic… : Medicine (lww.com)
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Study Examining the Hormonal and Vitality Effects of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Aging, Overweight Males — Adrian L. Lopresti, Peter D. Drummond, Stephen J. Smith, 2019 (sagepub.com)
- Adaptogenic and Anxiolytic Effects of Ashwagandha Root Extract in Healthy Adults: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Clinical Study (nih.gov)
- Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study — PubMed (nih.gov)
2. Magnesium Glycinate 😴
Magnesium is an essential mineral used by over 300 chemical processes within the human body. Everything from helping muscles contract to keeping your immune system strong and healthy.
Magnesium can be found in many foods such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, whole grains beans and fish.
Many people have been found to be at least partially deficient in this essential mineral. Keep in mind the RDA for it is 420mg for men and 320mg for women. If you’re not getting enough from your diet, which you can confirm via a blood test, you should definitely be supplementing with one form or Magnesium!
Magnesium Glycinate, in particular, is a form of Magnesium that is bound to glycine (an amino acid and inhibitory neurotransmitter), and has very high absorption levels in the body.
It has a list of positive effects, including:
- Exerting a calming effect on the brain due to the presence of glycine
- It can help relieve anxiety
- Glycine can promote better sleep by lowering core body temperature
- Reduces time taken to fall asleep
This is the best form of Magnesium if you’re looking to promote anti-stress and better sleep.
Other forms of Magnesium are known to give an upset stomach or diarrhea more easily (not ideal). This can also occur if you take too much at once or too frequently, so watch out. You’ve been warned.
- May relieve anxiety
- May improve sleep quality and reduce time taken to fall asleep
- Manages blood sugar levels
- May amplify exercise performance
- The Role of Magnesium in Neurological Disorders (nih.gov)
- The Effects of Magnesium Supplementation on Subjective Anxiety and Stress — A Systematic Review (nih.gov)
- The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare (nih.gov)
- Magnesium: Are We Consuming Enough? (nih.gov)
- The sleep-promoting and hypothermic effects of glycine are mediated by NMDA receptors in the suprachiasmatic nucleus — PubMed (nih.gov)
- New therapeutic strategy for amino acid medicine: glycine improves the quality of sleep — PubMed (nih.gov)
3. Reishi Mushroom Extract 🍄
Reishi Mushroom (Ganoderma Lucidum) is a polypore fungus that contains over 400 bioactive constituents including phytochemicals, triterpenes, polysaccharides (such as Beta Glucans), amino acids, fatty acids, proteins and more. It has been used as a Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Reishi is rising in popularity and commonly used to improve general health, immunity and support stress and sleep.
This mushroom exerts potent anti-oxidative effects, is able to activate natural killer cells which increases immunity and may increase anti-cancer effects.
Reishi can come in a variety of forms and extracts, from powdered extracts of varying concentrations, to liquid tinctures which can be ethanol or water extracted.
- May reduce stress
- May increase immune system response
- Acts as an antioxidant
- May increase sleep quality or reduce sleep latency
Mechanisms of Action
- Increase in natural killer immune cells
- May induce cell apoptosis
- May suppress motor activity and increase relaxation leading to better sleep
- (PDF) Extract of Ganoderma lucidum potentiates pentobarbital-induced sleep via a GABAergic mechanism (researchgate.net)
- Extract of Ganoderma lucidum prolongs sleep time in rats | Request PDF (researchgate.net)
- Effects of ganopoly (a Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide extract) on the immune functions in advanced-stage cancer patients — PubMed (nih.gov)
- Neuroprotective effects of ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides against oxidative stress-induced neuronal apoptosis — PubMed (nih.gov)
- [Sleep-promoting effects of Ganoderma extracts in rats: comparison between long-term and acute administrations] — PubMed (nih.gov)
- Linzhi (Ganoderma lucidum); evidence of its clinical usefulness in renal diseases (nih.gov)
- The anti-oxidation and anti-aging effects of Ganoderma lucidum in Caenorhabditis elegans — ScienceDirect